Boston Lettuce Stacks with Grilled Peaches, Feta and Pecans
- Makes: 4 servings
- Prep 15 mins
- Grill 8 mins to 10 mins
NOTE from sg: Pairing the textures and flavors of: buttery, slightly sweet and crisp Boston lettuce with the grilled/warm peaches and crunchy nuts
bottled light balsamic vinaigrette salad dressing
orange juice or apple juice
finely snipped fresh chives or green onion
ripe peaches or small pears
Boston lettuce or Bibb lettuce leaves (about 2 heads)
broken pecans or walnuts, toasted*
dried cherries, dried cranberries and/or golden raisins or 1/2 cup fresh raspberries or sliced strawberries
feta cheese, semi-soft goat cheese (chevre) or blue cheese, crumbled (1/4 cup)
Freshly ground black pepper (optional)
Orange or apple wedges (optional)
- For dressing: In a screw-top jar, combine salad dressing, orange juice, honey and chives. Cover and shake well. Set aside.
- Cut peaches in half lengthwise; remove pits. (If using pears, halve lengthwise and core.) Brush cut sides of peaches or pears using some of the dressing. Set remaining dressing aside.
- For a gas or charcoal grill, grill peach or pear halves, cut sides down, on the rack of a covered grill directly over medium heat for 8 to 10 minutes or until lightly browned, tender and warmed through, turning once halfway through grilling.
- To serve, stack 4 of the lettuce leaves on each chilled salad plate. Drizzle evenly with the remaining dressing. Slice peaches or pears into wedges or quarter; arrange on leaves. Sprinkle with pecans, cherries and feta. If you like, sprinkle salad with a little freshly ground black pepper and garnish with orange wedges. Serve while peaches are still warm.
- * To toast a small amount of nuts, place them in a small cast iron skillet directly on the rack of an covered grill directly over medium heat. (Or on medium heat of regular range top.) Heat for 5 to 7 minutes, stirring occasionally, or until nuts are aromatic, lightly golden and toasted. (Be sure to watch carefully to avoid burning.) Toast larger amounts of nuts in a shallow baking pan in a 350 degrees F oven for 5 to 10 minutes, stirring once or twice.
(Boston Lettuce Stacks with Grilled Peaches, Feta and Pecans)Servings Per Recipe 4, Monosaturated fat (g) 3, Trans fatty acid (g) 0, Folate (µg) 36, Pyridoxine (Vit. B6) (mg) 0, Riboflavin (mg) 0, pro. (g) 4, Potassium (mg) 436, calcium (mg) 71, Thiamin (mg) 0, cal. (kcal) 189, sodium (mg) 275, Cobalamin (Vit. B12) (µg) 0, Fat, total (g) 8, vit. C (mg) 15, vit. A (IU) 1701, carb. (g) 32, iron (mg) 1, sugar (g) 26, fiber (g) 4, Polyunsaturated fat (g) 2, Niacin (mg) 2, chol. (mg) 6, sat. fat (g) 2