Boston Cream Pies
- Makes: 12 servings
- Prep 30 mins
- Chill 3 hrs to 25 hrs
2 1/2 -
baked vanilla cupcakes
semisweet chocolate pieces (1 cup)
- For vanilla cream, in a small bowl lightly beat egg yolks; set aside. In a medium saucepan combine sugar and cornstarch. Whisk in milk. Cook and stir over medium heat until thickened and bubbly. Cook and stir for 2 minutes more.
- Gradually stir about 1 cup of the hot mixture into the egg yolks, stirring constantly. Return all the mixture to the saucepan. Cook and stir until bubbly. Cook and stir for 2 minutes more. Remove from heat. Stir in butter until melted. Stir in vanilla. Cover surface with plastic wrap. Chill in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours or up to 24 hours.
- To assemble, using a serrated knife, cut each vanilla cupcake horizontally in half. Spoon 1 heaping tablespoon of vanilla cream onto the cut side of each cupcake bottom. Replace cupcake tops. Place cupcakes on a wire rack set over waxed paper.
- For ganache, in a medium microwave-safe bowl microwave chocolate pieces and whipping cream on 100 percent power (high) for 1 to 2 minutes or until chocolate is almost melted. Stir until smooth.
- Spoon ganache over cupcakes. Let stand until chocolate is set. Chill in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour before serving. Makes 12 (2-1/2 inch) cupcakes.
(Boston Cream Pies)Servings Per Recipe 12, Fat, total (g) 24, Monounsaturated fat (g) 7, Polyunsaturated fat (g) 1, chol. (mg) 160, sat. fat (g) 14, Pyridoxine (Vit. B6) (mg) 0, Niacin (mg) 1, Potassium (mg) 142, Cobalamin (Vit. B12) (µg) 0, sodium (mg) 177, Folate (µg) 44, Riboflavin (mg) 0, Thiamin (mg) 0, fiber (g) 1, sugar (g) 28, calcium (mg) 81, iron (mg) 1, vit. A (IU) 729, cal. (kcal) 401, carb. (g) 43, pro. (g) 5