Prairie Potato Bake
- Makes: 6 servings
- Prep 45 mins
- Cool 1 hr
- Bake 40 mins
recipe Mashed Potatoes*
chopped onion (1 medium)
10 3/4 -
condensed cream of mushroom soup
dairy sour cream
process cheese food, cut into 6(1-1/2-inch) cubes
- Prepare Mashed Potatoes; set aside to cool for 1 hour or till cool enough to handle.
- In a large skillet, cook meat and onion till meat is brown. Drain off fat. In a small bowl, stir together the broth, flour, salt and black pepper till well combined. Stir broth mixture into meat mixture. Cook and stir over medium heat till thickened. Remove from heat. Stir in soup and sour cream. Transfer meat mixture to a 3-quart casserole; set aside.
- For potato topping, shape about 2/3 cup of the Mashed Potatoes into a ball. Make a hole in the center of ball; insert a cube of cheese in the hole, then reshape into a ball, enclosing the cheese. Repeat with remaining mashed potatoes and cheese cubes. Roll each ball in crushed cornflakes. Arrange potato balls on top of meat mixture.
- Bake, uncovered, in a 350 degree F oven about 40 minutes or till mixture is bubbly and potatoes are heated through. Makes 6 servings.
potatoes (about 6 medium)
butter or margarine
salt and pepper
- 1/3 - 1/2
- Peel and quarter potatoes. Cook, covered, in a small amount of boiling lightly salted water for 20 to 25 minutes or till tender; drain. Mash with a potato masher or beat with an electric mixer on low speed. Add butter or margarine. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Gradually beat in milk to make light and fluffy. Makes about 4 cups.
(Prairie Potato Bake)Servings Per Recipe 6, vit. C (mg) 18, vit. A (IU) 923, sodium (mg) 1157, sat. fat (g) 21, iron (mg) 4, calcium (mg) 263, fiber (g) 2, cal. (kcal) 685, pro. (g) 34, carb. (g) 44, Fat, total (g) 41, chol. (mg) 130