Chuckwagon Goat Cheese Burgers with Onion Jam
- Makes: 6 servings
- Prep 45 mins
- Grill 18 mins
You can make the Onion Jam up to 2 days ahead of time for these juicy grilled beef burgers.
Onion Jam (see recipe below)
goat cheese (chevre)
crushed red pepper
Goat cheese (optional)
Golden tomato wedges (optional)
- Combine the ground beef, half of the Onion Jam, the 4 ounces goat cheese, the salt, and the red pepper in a large mixing bowl. Divide mixture into 6 portions and form each portion into a patty about 1 inch thick.
- Place burger patties on the lightly oiled rack of the grill directly over medium heat. Grill for 18 to 23 minutes or until an instant-read thermometer inserted in centers registers 160 degree F, turning burgers once halfway through grilling.
- Grill the Texas toast, if desired. Spread 6 slices with some of the remaining Onion Jam and top each with a grilled burger patty. Top with additional goat cheese, if desired. Top with the remaining Texas toast slices. Serve with any remaining Onion Jam and, if desired, golden tomato wedges. Makes 6 burgers.
Make Ahead Tip
- Prepare the Onion Jam for the burgers up to 2 days in advance. Cover and refrigerate until serving time.
large yellow onions, thinly sliced
large red onions, thinly sliced
green onions, chopped
packed brown sugar
- Heat cooking oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add yellow and red onions, thinly sliced; cook and stir for 5 minutes. Stir in chopped green onions; cook onion mixture for 25 to 30 minutes or until browned, stirring occasionally. Add balsamic vinegar and packed brown sugar; reduce heat. Simmer for 10 to 12 minutes or until most of the liquid evaporates. Remove from heat. Cover and chill for up to 1 week. Makes about 1-1/3 cups.
(Chuckwagon Goat Cheese Burgers with Onion Jam)Servings Per Recipe 6, Fat, total (g) 29, vit. C (mg) 9, carb. (g) 44, sat. fat (g) 11, chol. (mg) 104, fiber (g) 3, sodium (mg) 1047, iron (mg) 5, vit. A (IU) 146, pro. (g) 37, calcium (mg) 141, cal. (kcal) 597