Baked Strawberry Preserves
- Makes: 44 servings
- Yield: 3 2/3 cups, 3 to 4 half-pints
- Hands On 15 mins
- Total Time 1 hr
Kissed with lemon and ginger, this easy freezer jam from the cookbook Savory Sweet calls for minimum sugar. It has a looser texture than traditional jams -- all the better for spooning over oatmeal or ice cream!
small strawberries, cleaned and halved; large berries halved and thickly sliced (about 5 to 6 cups)
fresh ginger, quartered lengthwise (do not peel)
- Wash four half-pint canning jars, lids and bands in hot soapy water, rinse well, and place upside down on a clean kitchen towel to drain.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees . Place berries and ginger in a shallow roasting pan with sugar, lemon verbena and cider vinegar. Stir to coat. Bake uncovered on the middle rack, gently stirring occasionally, until berries release their liquid and mixture begins to thicken, about 40 minutes. Remove from oven; discard ginger and lemon verbena. Let the mixture cool and thicken for about an hour. Break it up with a potato masher, if desired, for a more jammy consistency. (If you don't mash it, it's perfect for spooning over ice cream or angel food cake.)
- Spoon preserves into jars, leaving a half-inch of room at the top for expansion during freezing. Wipe the rims with a clean wet cloth or paper towel. Add the lids and bands, finger tightening the bands. Label jars. Cool completely and tighten bands fully before storing jars in the refrigerator or freezer. Stash preserves up to 3 weeks in the fridge or 1 year in the freezer. (Be sure to use freezer-safe containers not all glass ones are.)
- *Shopping Tip Lemon verbena isn't a widely available herb, so you may need to buy a plant for the garden at a specialty nursery or just swap in a wide strip of lemon zest (use a vegetable peeler).
(Baked Strawberry Preserves)Servings Per Recipe 44, cal. (kcal) 15, vit. A (IU) 2, iron (mg) 0, Fat, total (g) 0, vit. C (mg) 8, Potassium (mg) 27, pro. (g) 0, calcium (mg) 3, carb. (g) 4, Niacin (mg) 0, Monounsaturated fat (g) 0, Pyridoxine (Vit. B6) (mg) 0, chol. (mg) 0, Thiamin (mg) 0, sat. fat (g) 0, Riboflavin (mg) 0, fiber (g) 0, sodium (mg) 0, sugar (g) 3, Polyunsaturated fat (g) 0, Folate (µg) 2, Trans fatty acid (g) 0, Cobalamin (Vit. B12) (µg) 0