- Makes: 4 servings
- Bake 10 mins or crisp tender
- Start to Finish 45 mins
To save time, while the asparagus is roasting, cook the leeks, brown the rice, and heat the broth to simmering.
asparagus spears, trimmed
reduced-sodium chicken broth
freshly grated Parmesan cheese
snipped fresh parsley
finely shredded lemon peel
freshly ground coarse black pepper
- Place asparagus in single layer on baking sheet. Brush with 1 tablespoon olive oil; lightly sprinkle salt and black pepper. Bake, uncovered, in 450 degrees F oven about 10 minutes or until crisp-tender. Cool slightly. Cut two-thirds in 2-inch pieces; set aside all asparagus.
- Meanwhile, in large saucepan cook leeks in remaining olive oil until tender. Stir in uncooked rice. Cook and stir over medium heat about 5 minutes or until rice begins to turn golden brown.
- In another saucepan bring broth to boiling. Reduce heat and simmer. Carefully stir 1 cup of hot broth into rice mixture. Cook, stirring frequently, over medium heat until liquid is absorbed. Then add 1/2 cup broth at a time, stirring frequently until broth is absorbed before adding more broth (about 22 minutes).
- Stir in any remaining broth. Cook and stir just until rice is tender and creamy.
- Stir in asparagus pieces, cheese, parsley, lemon peel, lemon juice, and pepper. Top with asparagus spears, lemon slices, and peel. Makes 4 servings.
(Asparagus-Leek Risotto)Servings Per Recipe 4, iron (mg) 5, calcium (mg) 121, vit. C (mg) 13, Potassium (mg) 258, vit. A (IU) 1361, sodium (mg) 683, Polyunsaturated fat (g) 1, Cobalamin (Vit. B12) (µg) 0, Monosaturated fat (g) 5, Folate (µg) 69, sugar (g) 4, Pyridoxine (Vit. B6) (mg) 0, fiber (g) 3, Fat, total (g) 9, Riboflavin (mg) 0, Niacin (mg) 3, chol. (mg) 6, Thiamin (mg) 0, sat. fat (g) 2, cal. (kcal) 256, pro. (g) 10, carb. (g) 36