Phyllo Cheese Straws
- Yield: 40 logs
- Prep 1 hr
- Bake 10 mins to 12 mins
feta cheese, finely crumbled
chopped fresh parsley
frozen phyllo dough (14x9-inch rectangles), thawed (20 sheets)
- For filling, in a medium bowl, stir together feta and parsley.
- With very sharp knife, cut the stack of 20 sheets in half crosswise to make 40 (9x7-inch) rectangles. Lightly brush 1 of the sheets of phyllo with some of the melted butter. (Keep remaining phyllo covered with plastic wrap to prevent it from drying out.)
- Evenly spread about 1 tablespoon of the feta filling in a 3/4-inch wide strip to 1/2 inch of one short side and to 1 inch of longs sides of the phyllo sheet.
- Fold in the long sides of the phyllo on each side. Fold the 1/2 inch phyllo over the top of the filling and tightly roll the phyllo dough into a thin log. Brush seam with butter. Place log, seam side down, on a baking sheet; brush log with a little more butter. Repeat with remaining filling and phyllo sheets.
- Bake in a 400 degree F oven for 10 to 12 minutes or until logs are golden brown and crisp. Serve warm. Makes 40 logs.
- Place cheese straws in a freezer container and freeze for up to 3 months. Place frozen cheese straws on a baking sheet and reheat in a 35 degree F oven for 8 minutes or until heated through and crisp.
(Phyllo Cheese Straws)cal. (kcal) 67, pro. (g) 2, vit. A (IU) 194, calcium (mg) 61, vit. C (mg) 1, chol. (mg) 16, sat. fat (g) 3, iron (mg) 0, Thiamin (mg) 0, sodium (mg) 171, Riboflavin (mg) 0, carb. (g) 3, Potassium (mg) 16, Niacin (mg) 0, Fat, total (g) 5, Pyridoxine (Vit. B6) (mg) 0, Folate (µg) 8, Monounsaturated fat (g) 1, Cobalamin (Vit. B12) (µg) 0