Asparagus Finger Sandwiches
- Yield: 8 small sandwiches
- Start to Finish 35 mins
fresh asparagus or 1/2 of a 9- to 10-ounce package frozen cut asparagus
mayonnaise or salad dressing
grated Parmesan cheese
ground white pepper
thinly sliced firm-textured white sandwich bread
thinly sliced firm-textured wheat sandwich bread
Fresh parsley sprigs or microgreens
- If using fresh asparagus, snap off and discard woody bases from asparagus. If desired, scrape off scales from asparagus spears. Cook asparagus, covered, in a small amount of boiling water about 10 minutes or until soft and tender; drain. If using frozen asparagus, cook according to package directions using maximum time given; drain. Carefully spread asparagus on a double layer of paper towels; drain well. Pat dry with paper towel.
- Transfer asparagus to a medium bowl. Using a fork, mash the asparagus. Drain out all the excess water using a sieve (excess water will make the sandwiches soggy). Stir in mayonnaise, Parmesan cheese, salt, and white pepper; mix thoroughly to a spreadable consistency.
- Spread butter on one side of each slice of white bread. Spread asparagus mixture over buttered side of each slice. Top 2 slices of white bread with a slice of wheat bread. Place the 2 remaining slices of white bread, asparagus side down, on top each slice of whole wheat.
- To serve, using a sharp serrated knife, slice crusts from all four sides of each sandwich. Cut each sandwich into 4 triangles or 4 squares. Arrange on a platter with the cut edges upward. Garnish with sprigs of parsley or microgreens. Serve at once or cover and chill up to 1 hour. Makes 8 small sandwiches.
(Asparagus Finger Sandwiches)iron (mg) 1, Cobalamin (Vit. B12) (µg) 0, Monosaturated fat (g) 1, Polyunsaturated fat (g) 3, sodium (mg) 289, Potassium (mg) 61, fiber (g) 1, Pyridoxine (Vit. B6) (mg) 0, calcium (mg) 50, Folate (µg) 28, sugar (g) 2, Riboflavin (mg) 0, Niacin (mg) 1, chol. (mg) 11, Thiamin (mg) 0, sat. fat (g) 2, Fat, total (g) 9, vit. C (mg) 1, cal. (kcal) 142, vit. A (IU) 194, carb. (g) 13, pro. (g) 3