140 Churchgrove Rd.
Frankenmuth Michigan 48734United States
This beautiful, historic church encourages self-guided tours or just quiet contemplation and holds worship services (once a month) in German.
Stepping into the cavernous sanctuary on a weekday afternoon with no other person in sight was an unexpected pleasure, leading us to stay longer than we planned just to bask in the peace and serenity. We found the sight of light streaming through the massive stained-glass windows in the otherwise darkened sanctuary to be a genuine wonder. This grand church was constructed in 1880 in a Gothic style by some of Frankenmuth's original German settlers who spared no expense in crafting this temple of worship. The 167-foot steeple towers over the city like a beacon. The church graciously offers entry at any time for a self-guided tour, and arranges guided tours by appointment. The sanctuary is vast and features soaring Corinthian columns supporting arched balconies and an intricately designed ceiling. Those towering stained-glass windows tell the story of St. Lorenz. Dominating the upper balcony is a 2,628-pipe Casavant organ. A number of choral and handbell concerts are held here throughout the year, including the annual Christmas Choir Concert. Sunday worship services in German are held the second Sunday of the month at 11 a.m. Across the street from the church is a cemetery commemorating the early settlers of Frankenmuth, a replica of the original log cabin church and two church bells cast in Nuremberg, Germany, which were brought to Frankenmuth in 1845 by its first settlers.