Refinished hardwood floors, exposed brick walls and a ceiling with exposed ductwork hint at the Box Factory of the Arts’ history as, well, a box factory. The 1903 building once housed the Williams Brothers Paper Box Factory. After the business went idle the factory sat abandoned until 1995 when the Berrien Artist Guild (a county artists’ collective) bought it.
55,000 square feet of renovated space glow in the natural light that flows through large plate glass windows. Interior walls hang suspended from the ceiling with chains, the better to reconfigure things when a new show comes to town.
Artist studios and galleries fill most of the Box Factory’s space. The resident artists don't have set hours but visitors are bound to find a number of them working during opening hours. Artists' creations range from screen printed silk scarves to contemporary pottery, pewter and cowboy-themed paintings. Other features include a performance stage, classrooms, meeting space and the Art Shoppe, where 300 regional Berrien Guild member artists' works are.