SPECIAL OFFER: - Limited Time Only!
(The ad below will not display on your printed page)
- Makes: 8 servings
Start with the basic recipe and then use one of the variations to make the breakfast bread you're craving.
cold butter, cut into pieces
Whipping cream or milk
Butter, desired-flavor jam, lemon curd or Devonshire Cream* (recipe follows)
Lightly grease a baking sheet, or line baking sheet with foil or parchment paper; set aside. In a large bowl, stir together flour, 1/4 cup sugar, baking powder and salt. Using a pastry blender, cut in 1/3 cup butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Make a well in center of flour mixture; set aside.
In a small bowl, whisk together egg, 1/2 cup whipping cream and vanilla. Add egg mixture all at once to flour mixture. Using a fork, stir until moistened and a dough forms.
Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Knead dough by folding and gently pressing dough for 10 to 12 strokes or until dough is nearly smooth. Pat or lightly roll dough into an 8-inch square or circle. Cut into 8 rectangles or wedges.
Place rectangles or wedges 1 inch apart on prepared baking sheet. Brush rectangles or wedges with additional whipping cream and sprinkle with additional sugar. Bake in a 400 degree F oven for 12 to 14 minutes or until lightly golden. Transfer scones to a wire rack. Cool about 10 minutes. Serve warm with additional butter, jam, lemon curd or Devonshire Cream. Makes 8 servings.
- Apple Scones: Prepare as above, except add 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon and 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg to the flour mixture; after cutting in butter, stir in 3/4 cup finely chopped, peeled apple. Sprinkle tops with cinnamon-sugar instead of plain sugar. Scones may take 1 to 2 minutes longer to bake.
- Poppy Seed Scones: Prepare as above, except add 2 tablespoons poppy seeds and 1 teaspoon finely shredded lemon, orange or lime peel to the flour mixture.
- Cranberry Scones: Prepare as above, except add 1/2 cup chopped fresh or dried cranberries and 1/4 cup chopped pecans, toasted, with the cream mixture.
- Berry Scones: Prepare as above, except add 1/2 cup fresh or frozen blueberries, raspberries or chopped strawberries with the cream mixture.
- Peach Almond Scones: Prepare as above, except add 1/2 cup finely chopped, peeled peaches, 1/4 cup sliced almonds and 1/4 teaspoon almond extract with the cream mixture.
- Currant Scones: Prepare as above, except add 1/2 cup dried currants or snipped raisins with the cream mixture.
- *Chef Tip: For purchased Devonshire Cream -- a thick, rich ingredient also known as clotted cream -- look for it gourmet food shops, large supermarkets or go online.
- *Chef Tip: When incorporating fresh berries into the dough, use a wooden board or work surface to knead the dough to prevent staining the pastry cloth.
- Chocolate Chip Scones: Prepare as above, except add 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon to the flour mixture and add 1/2 cup miniature semisweet chocolate pieces with the cream mixture.
Servings Per Recipe 8, sat. fat (g) 9, Fat, total (g) 15, chol. (mg) 69, pro. (g) 4, iron (mg) 1, vit. A (IU) 486, carb. (g) 29, cal. (kcal) 265, calcium (mg) 50, fiber (g) 1, sodium (mg) 181