SPECIAL OFFER: - Limited Time Only!
(The ad below will not display on your printed page)
Elfin Shortbread Bites
- Makes: 36 servings
- Yield: about 144 pieces
butter (not margarine)
In a medium mixing bowl, stir together the flour and sugar. Using a pastry blender, cut in the butter until the mixture resembles fine crumbs and starts to cling. Stir in sprinkles. Form mixture into a ball and knead until smooth.
On an ungreased cookie sheet, roll or pat the dough to form an 8x5-inch rectangle. Cut into 1/2-inch squares. Separate pieces on the cookie sheet.
Bake in a 325 degree F oven for 10 to 12 minutes or until the bottoms just start to brown and center is set. Cool on cookie sheet for 5 minutes. Remove and cool on waxed-paper-covered rack. Makes about 144 pieces (about thirty-six, 4-piece servings).
- Lemon-Poppy Seed Bites: Prepare shortbread as directed, except omit the sprinkles and stir 2 teaspoons poppy seed into flour-sugar mixture and add 1 teaspoon finely shredded lemon peel with the butter.
- Chocolate Chip Bites: Prepare shortbread as directed, except omit the sprinkles and stir in 1/3 cup miniature semisweet chocolate pieces after cutting in butter.
- Butter-Pecan Bites: Prepare shortbread as directed, except omit the sprinkles, substitute brown sugar for the sugar and stir in 1/4 cup finely chopped pecans after cutting in the butter.
Make Ahead Tip
- Store cookies in a tightly covered container at room temperature for up to 3 days or in the freezer for up to 3 months.
- To Present This As A Gift: You will need a paper punch, flexible plastic cone (available in the doll-making supply area of crafts stores), scissors, and colored beaded wire.
- To Present This As A Gift: Punch holes on opposite sides of the cone, just below the rim. Punch another hole in the tip. Cut a length of beaded wire for the handle. Thread bead ends through punched holes, twisting ends to secure. Make a small tassel out of a 16-inch length of beads, wrapping into 2-inch-long loops. Tie at the top with another piece of beaded wire. Tie onto the cone through the punched holes in the cone's tip.
- Also Try This: Use cone-shape paper drinking cups in the same way, decorating the outside with stickers in desired colors and shapes.
(Elfin Shortbread Bites)
Servings Per Recipe 36, cal. (kcal) 12, vit. A (RE) 10, carb. (g) 1, Fat, total (g) 1, chol. (mg) 2, sodium (mg) 7